Kate Mulgrew’s Captain Janeway Makes Her Return in Star Trek: Prodigy
Star Trek: Prodigy Adds Captain Janeway
Looks like my Starfleet Captain is Back! Which of so many would you say I consider my favorite Captain? Well as amazing as Captain Jean-Luc Picard and others, my favorite Captain is Captain Kathryn Janeway, who as in charge of the Starfleet ship USS Voyager. She was played by Kate Mulgrew. The reason why she has a special place in my heart is that Star Trek: Voyager was the first series of the franchise that I really got into growing up. I followed her ship’s adventures for seven seasons!
Now she will be reprising her role in Nickelodeon and CBS Studios’ new animated series, Star Trek: Prodigy. This surprise announcement was made during the Star Trek UniverseNew York Comic-Con virtual panel. The CG-animated series is expected to air on Nickelodeon sometime next year. You can check out the announcement below!
Mulgrew commented about her return to Star Trek, “I have invested every scintilla of my being in Captain Janeway, and I can’t wait to endow her with nuance that I never did before in Star Trek: Prodigy. How thrilling to be able to introduce to these young minds an idea that has elevated the world for decades. To be at the helm again is going to be deeply gratifying in a new way for me.”
Executive Producer Alex Kurtzman also chimed in, “Captain Janeway was held to a different standard than her predecessors. She was asked to embody an inhuman level of perfection in order to be accepted as ‘good enough’ by the doubters, but showed them all what it means to be truly outstanding. We can think of no better captain to inspire the next generation of dreamers on Nickelodeon, than she.”
“Kate’s portrayal of Captain Janeway is truly iconic, and has resonated with a global audience for many years,” said Ramsey Naito, President, Nickelodeon Animation. “We can’t wait to see her bring this character to life in a whole new way, while continuing to be an inspiration for both new and loyal fans.”
The new series, Star Trek: Prodigy, follows a group of lawless teens that discover a run-down Starfleet ship and use it so search for adventure, meaning, and salvation. It’s being developed by Emmy Award winners Kevin and Dan Hageman and overseen for Nickelodeon by Naito. It’s from CBS’ Eye Animation Productions, Secret Hideout, and Roddenberry Entertainment.
I was already excited to check this out, and her addition just made it better. It’s interesting to note that I always just saw her as a great Starfleet Captain that it never even crossed my mind that she was the first female Captain on Star Trek television. Its a very good time to be a Star Trek fan as they have many series including the third season of Star Trek: Discovery, Star Trek: Lower Decks, Star Trek: Picard, and the upcoming Star Trek Strange New Works. Also of course this one Star Trek: Prodigy.
Did you like Captain Janeway on Voyager? Let us know in the comment section below!
Continue the LRM Online conversation on Discord by CLICKING HERE!
Have you checked out LRM Online’s official podcast feed yet The LRM Online Podcast Network? This includes our flagship podcast Los Fanboys. Our premiere podcast Breaking Geek Radio: The Podcast, GeekScholars Movie News, and our morning show LRMornings. Check it out by listening below. It’s also available on all your favorite podcast apps!
More on this: 758 stories
- Star Trek: Discovery Season 3 Time Jump Explained by Doug Jones
- Kate Mulgrew's Kathryn Janeway honored in hometown
- Star Trek: Why Captain Janeway Is Perfect For The New Series Prodigy
- Amazon Announces Star Trek Month For November
- Star Trek: Discovery - Saru Earns His Stripes as Captain
- There's Something Wrong Keyla Detmer
- Star Trek: Lower Decks - 10 References You Totally Missed
- Kate Mulgrew of 'Star Trek: Voyager' crashes Captain Janeway statue celebration via Zoom
- Star Trek Discovery: Airiam Is Still Part Of The Crew In Season 3
- Star Trek: Enterprise: Season 5 storylines were already in the works
- Star Trek: Discovery's Doug Jones Talks Saru's Role In the New Future
- This Star Trek: Discovery Moment is One of the Show's Best
- Star Trek: Discovery 3x03 Photos Reveal Burnham And The Crew's Reunion
- Star Trek: Discovery: The cultural importance of Burnham's braids
- Wil Wheaton recalls how Whoopi Goldberg saved Star Trek: The Next Generation
- Star Trek: Discovery - Here's How Long Passed for Burnham in the Time-Jump
- Star Trek: Discovery: Why Detmer Is Acting Strange In Season 3
- Star Trek: Discovery Introduces Parasitic Ice, a Frightening New Life Form
- Star Trek Ranks Its Most Powerful Ships
- Star Trek: Why Discovery Survived An Ice Planet Crash (But Voyager Didn't)
- Star Trek Getting Postal Stamps in the UK
- Janeway Statue Unveiled In Bloomington
- 10 Things That Happened In The Season 3 Premiere That We Loved
- Kate Mulgrew Reveals What It Took For Her To Return As Janeway In Star Trek: Prodigy
- Why Star Trek: Discovery Has So Much Swearing