New Pictures from Star Trek: Discovery's Return Give Us a Look at Michael Burnham's No Good, Very Bad Day
At least David Ajala is there to ease the pain?
One Star Trek show has come to an end, and it’s already time for another: in just a few days’ time, Star Trek: Discovery returns for its third season, finally giving us a look at this strange new future the franchise is exploring. The climax of last season saw Michael, in her Red Angel suit, lead the Discovery to the far future of 3188, further than any Star Trek series has actually explored.
What awaits her in 3188? Well, these new pictures from “That Hope is You, Part 1” released by CBS today show what seems like a pretty rough time for Commander Burnham. But it’s not all bad.
A bunch show off the immediate aftermath of the hasty crash-landing Michael made, as glimpsed in the clip released at New York Comic Con, after she promptly emerged from her wormhole and boinked right off the ship of new mystery man Book (David Ajala’s new character). Naturally, she makes it out all right of it well enough—otherwise the new season would be pretty short!—before making a meet-cute with Book himself.
G/O Media may get a commission
Monday's Best Deals: AirPods Pro, Wayfair Wall Art Sale, iPad Mini, Poo-Pourii, Anker Nebula Projector, Logitech Gaming Headset, and More
Anker Nebula Apollo Projector
But teaming up with the first person she literally bumped into in the 32nd century isn’t all fun and games for Michael—there’s a not-so-snazzy costume change for her, lots of wandering through very spartan alien landscapes—have they been ravaged by whatever the mysterious “burn” is that was mentioned in the trailers?—and even some alien encounters, including a familiar face in a lone Andorian. And a Lurian, like Morn from Deep Space Nine!
But one interesting thing missing from all these pictures? The Discoveryitself, and the rest of its crew. Did Michael somehow manage to make it to the future before they did? We’ll have to wait and see, but not long—Star Trek: Discovery’s third season kicks off on CBS All Access this Thursday, October 15.
For more, make sure you’re following us on our Instagram @io9dotcom.
More on this: 758 stories
- Star Trek: Discovery Season 3 Time Jump Explained by Doug Jones
- Kate Mulgrew's Kathryn Janeway honored in hometown
- Star Trek: Why Captain Janeway Is Perfect For The New Series Prodigy
- Amazon Announces Star Trek Month For November
- Star Trek: Discovery - Saru Earns His Stripes as Captain
- There's Something Wrong Keyla Detmer
- Star Trek: Lower Decks - 10 References You Totally Missed
- Kate Mulgrew of 'Star Trek: Voyager' crashes Captain Janeway statue celebration via Zoom
- Star Trek Discovery: Airiam Is Still Part Of The Crew In Season 3
- Star Trek: Enterprise: Season 5 storylines were already in the works
- Star Trek: Discovery's Doug Jones Talks Saru's Role In the New Future
- This Star Trek: Discovery Moment is One of the Show's Best
- Star Trek: Discovery 3x03 Photos Reveal Burnham And The Crew's Reunion
- Star Trek: Discovery: The cultural importance of Burnham's braids
- Wil Wheaton recalls how Whoopi Goldberg saved Star Trek: The Next Generation
- Star Trek: Discovery - Here's How Long Passed for Burnham in the Time-Jump
- Star Trek: Discovery: Why Detmer Is Acting Strange In Season 3
- Star Trek: Discovery Introduces Parasitic Ice, a Frightening New Life Form
- Star Trek Ranks Its Most Powerful Ships
- Star Trek: Why Discovery Survived An Ice Planet Crash (But Voyager Didn't)
- Star Trek Getting Postal Stamps in the UK
- Janeway Statue Unveiled In Bloomington
- 10 Things That Happened In The Season 3 Premiere That We Loved
- Kate Mulgrew Reveals What It Took For Her To Return As Janeway In Star Trek: Prodigy
- Why Star Trek: Discovery Has So Much Swearing