Star Trek: Discovery's Third Season Is 'Past All Established Canon'
Star Trek: Discovery's executive producer and co-showrunner, Michelle Paradise, has discussed the implications of Season 3 being set past established canon, 930 years into the future.
Paradise explained that the approach was similar to "doing a Season 1 show, because we were kind of starting over again." Paradise went on to say that her personal approach to this new narrative territory is to consider it like "fresh snow." However, just because the show is now going beyond all established canon doesn't mean it will be ignoring its history or roots.Click the button below to start this article in quick view. Start now
"We've got a landscape in front of us that we can populate as we like... Being beyond canon doesn't mean that we ignore anything… but what going to the future lets us do is take a look at past canon in new ways. So species that may have been friendly toward one another, or not friendly to one another: Can we mix those up in new ways?"
Paradise expressed excitement toward exploring how Discovery's time jump impacts its characters, given they are now separated from everyone they ever knew. She stated, "Since they're going so far into the future, all of these characters are leaving everyone else behind. We get to really challenge them in new ways, and we get to dig deeper into all of these characters that we've come to love over the past couple of seasons."
Streaming on CBS All Access, Star Trek: Discovery stars Sonequa Martin-Green as Commander Michael Burnham, Doug Jones as Commander Saru, Anthony Rapp as Lt. Commander Paul Stamets, Mary Wiseman as Ensign Sylvia Tilly, Shazad Latif as Ash Tyler, Wilson Cruz as Dr. Hugh Culber, Anson Mount as Captain Christopher Pike, Mary Chieffo as L'Rell, Tig Notaro as Chief Engineer Reno, Ethan Peck as Spock, Rebecca Romijn as Number One and Michelle Yeoh as Philippa Georgiou. Seasons 1 and 2 are available now, with Season 3 premiering on Oct. 15.
Source: TVLineAbout The Author
More on this: 758 stories
- Star Trek: Discovery Season 3 Time Jump Explained by Doug Jones
- Kate Mulgrew's Kathryn Janeway honored in hometown
- Star Trek: Why Captain Janeway Is Perfect For The New Series Prodigy
- Amazon Announces Star Trek Month For November
- Star Trek: Discovery - Saru Earns His Stripes as Captain
- There's Something Wrong Keyla Detmer
- Star Trek: Lower Decks - 10 References You Totally Missed
- Kate Mulgrew of 'Star Trek: Voyager' crashes Captain Janeway statue celebration via Zoom
- Star Trek Discovery: Airiam Is Still Part Of The Crew In Season 3
- Star Trek: Enterprise: Season 5 storylines were already in the works
- Star Trek: Discovery's Doug Jones Talks Saru's Role In the New Future
- This Star Trek: Discovery Moment is One of the Show's Best
- Star Trek: Discovery 3x03 Photos Reveal Burnham And The Crew's Reunion
- Star Trek: Discovery: The cultural importance of Burnham's braids
- Wil Wheaton recalls how Whoopi Goldberg saved Star Trek: The Next Generation
- Star Trek: Discovery - Here's How Long Passed for Burnham in the Time-Jump
- Star Trek: Discovery: Why Detmer Is Acting Strange In Season 3
- Star Trek: Discovery Introduces Parasitic Ice, a Frightening New Life Form
- Star Trek Ranks Its Most Powerful Ships
- Star Trek: Why Discovery Survived An Ice Planet Crash (But Voyager Didn't)
- Star Trek Getting Postal Stamps in the UK
- Janeway Statue Unveiled In Bloomington
- 10 Things That Happened In The Season 3 Premiere That We Loved
- Kate Mulgrew Reveals What It Took For Her To Return As Janeway In Star Trek: Prodigy
- Why Star Trek: Discovery Has So Much Swearing