Star Trek: Discovery Season 3 Reveals What Happened To The Federation
Star Trek Discoveryhas truly gone where no other show in the franchise has gone before. Season 3 kicked off this week and its premiere episode followed on from the end of season 2, where Michael Burnham jumped 1000 years into the future. In 3×01 “That Hope Is You, Part 1,” Sonequa Martin-Green’s heroine discovers that the galaxy is now very different from the one she knew. The organization that ties together the whole Trek universe doesn’t exist anymore: the Federation, and therefore Starfleet, as well.
We’ve known that this would be the case for a while, but this season opener reveals the reason behind the collapse of the Federation. When Burnham arrives in the 32nd century, she quickly meets trader Book (David Ajala), who explains what happened. There was a cataclysmic event called “The Burn” about a 100 years prior which caused the dilithium crystals that enable warp travel in starship cores to become violently destabilized. The result was that the peoples of the Federation were cut off from each other, spelling its doom.
Burnham has hope, though, that something can be done to restore the Federation. She elects to travel with Book, until she can reunite with the U.S.S Discovery, as he’s also in search of a small supply of stable dilithium in order to power his next voyage. The pair later come upon a Federation relay station where they encounter Aditya Sahil, a Starfleet loyalist trying to keep the spirit of the Federation alive. Burnham invites him to travel with them and they decide to track down other leftover pockets of the Federation.
Despite the concept of Starfleet being no more, this season opener had a hugely hopeful tone, with the promise being that Burnham, and the Discovery crew when they eventually arrive, will be able to restore hope to the galaxy and maybe repair the Federation as a whole.
Don’t miss Star Trek: Discoveryseason 3 as it continues Thursdays on CBS All Access.
More on this: 758 stories
- Star Trek: Discovery Season 3 Time Jump Explained by Doug Jones
- Kate Mulgrew's Kathryn Janeway honored in hometown
- Star Trek: Why Captain Janeway Is Perfect For The New Series Prodigy
- Amazon Announces Star Trek Month For November
- Star Trek: Discovery - Saru Earns His Stripes as Captain
- There's Something Wrong Keyla Detmer
- Star Trek: Lower Decks - 10 References You Totally Missed
- Kate Mulgrew of 'Star Trek: Voyager' crashes Captain Janeway statue celebration via Zoom
- Star Trek Discovery: Airiam Is Still Part Of The Crew In Season 3
- Star Trek: Enterprise: Season 5 storylines were already in the works
- Star Trek: Discovery's Doug Jones Talks Saru's Role In the New Future
- This Star Trek: Discovery Moment is One of the Show's Best
- Star Trek: Discovery 3x03 Photos Reveal Burnham And The Crew's Reunion
- Star Trek: Discovery: The cultural importance of Burnham's braids
- Wil Wheaton recalls how Whoopi Goldberg saved Star Trek: The Next Generation
- Star Trek: Discovery - Here's How Long Passed for Burnham in the Time-Jump
- Star Trek: Discovery: Why Detmer Is Acting Strange In Season 3
- Star Trek: Discovery Introduces Parasitic Ice, a Frightening New Life Form
- Star Trek Ranks Its Most Powerful Ships
- Star Trek: Why Discovery Survived An Ice Planet Crash (But Voyager Didn't)
- Star Trek Getting Postal Stamps in the UK
- Janeway Statue Unveiled In Bloomington
- 10 Things That Happened In The Season 3 Premiere That We Loved
- Kate Mulgrew Reveals What It Took For Her To Return As Janeway In Star Trek: Prodigy
- Why Star Trek: Discovery Has So Much Swearing