Star Trek: Discovery Season 3 Episode Title Teases Picard and Spock Team-Up Sequel
Start Trek: Discovery brought the Discovery and its crew to the 32nd century, farther along the Star Trek timeline than any series before it. The episode titles for the remainder of the season are now out in the open, and one suggests that the past isn't don't with Discovery yet. The seventh episode of season three is titled "Unification III." That may seem like an odd title for newcomers to the franchise. Still, longtime fans know that "Unification I" and "Unification II" were episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation that told a special story. The episodes, meant to celebrate Star Trek's 25th anniversary, saw Captain Jean-Luc Picard and Data traveling in disguise to Romulus in search of Ambassador Spock.
Spock had gone AWOL to work with an underground movement to reunify the Vulcan and Romulan peoples, who both once belonged to the same society. Spock believed he might have been making progress, but it turned out to be a ploy by Sela. Working together, Picard, Spock, Data, and the Enterprise crew were able to foil Sela's attempt to launch a sneak attack on the Federation.
Afterward, Spock chose to remain on Romulus to continue working towards reunifying Vulcans and Romulans. He remained there until Romulus' destruction and his subsequent disappearance into the Kelvin Timeline while trying to prevent the supernova from spreading further.
So what does "Unification III" mean? It suggests that we'll be following up on that story in the 32nd century. It seems likely that we'll find out whether Spock's dream of reunification ever came true after Romulus' destruction. This may have something to do with Alex Kurtzman's recent confirmation that Michael Burnham will look into Spock's fate.
"Burnham is absolutely going to look to the past and try and understand what happened to Spock," Kurtzman said. "We all know what happened to Spock, but everything that we now take for granted, she has no understanding of. So, she will dive into that, and she will get to see what became of her brother. And that will actually impact the story for her in a significant way."
Another interesting note is that Sarek, Spock's father, dies from Bendii Syndrome in "Unification I." We now know that Sarek was also Michael's adoptive father. This may be when Michael learns of his fate as well.
Kirsten Beyer is writing the episode. The author of several Star Trek novels, Beyer is known as the keeper of continuity for Discovery. She seems like the right choice to handle a story that ties back to such a significant Next Generation episode.
New Star Trek: Discovery episode stream Thursdays on CBS All Access.
More on this: 762 stories
- Star Trek News: Franchise to get Legacy Award at event and more
- The 'Korra Effect' Keeps Fans Coming Back
- Star Trek: 10 Unpopular Opinions About Enterprise (According To Reddit)
- Star Trek: Discovery Reveals an Old Federation Enemy is Now an Ally
- Star Trek Discovery Theory: Mirror Michael Killed Emperor Georgiou's Son
- Star Trek: Voyager Just Turned Seven of Nine Into a Revolutionary
- Star Trek Voyager's "Endgame" Repeated A Season 5 Episode (But Worse)
- Star Trek: Voyager's Seven of Nine Tests Her Humanity in New Comic
- Star Trek To Receive Legacy Award at Critics Choice Super Awards
- Star Trek: Discovery: Who Will Be Saru's New Number One?
- Star Trek: Discovery Continues A Running Deep Space 9 Joke
- Star Trek Discovery: Who Will Be the New Number One?
- Star Trek: Discovery: SPOILER Gets Demoted
- Star Trek Producer Herb Solow Dies at 89
- Herbert F. Solow, Desilu Exec Behind 'Star Trek' and 'Mission: Impossible,' Dies at 89
- Discovery Turns Star Trek's Delta Badges Into 32nd Century iPhones
- Star Trek: 'Burnham Goes Rogue' Has Become Discovery's 'They Shut Down the X-Files'
- 5 of the best Star Trek tweets this week, from fun to history
- Star Trek: Discovery's Best Replacements For Michael As First Officer
- Hero Collector Starships Coming In February 2021
- Stewart And Roddenberry To Receive Awards
- Star Wars: The Mandalorian Nominated for Best Science Fiction/Fantasy Series at Critics Choice Super Awards
- Throwback Thursday: Star Trek TNG's Elementary, Dear Data (S2, Ep 4)
- Star Trek: Every 32nd Century Upgrade To The Discovery
- Nominees For 1st Annual Critics Choice Super Awards Include 'Palm Springs', 'Birds Of Prey', And 'Lovecraft Country'