Star Trek: Discovery - Here's How Long Passed for Burnham in the Time-Jump
WARNING: The following contains spoilers for Star Trek: Discovery Season 3, Episode 2, "Far From Home," now streaming on CBS All Access.
In the Season 3 premiere of Star Trek: Discovery, Michael Burnham arrived in the year 3188 after time-traveling to the future in the hopes of defeating the artificial intelligence menace known as Control. Using her mother's Red Angel suit, Michael went forward in time, the U.S.S. Discovery and its crew in tow. However, when she arrived at her destination, Michael was alone, and the Discovery was nowhere to be found. Burnham came to understand that her crew hadn't arrived yet, and it was unclear just when they'd show up in the future. In the season's newest episode, though, the Discovery finally makes it to the future after a full year has passed.Click the button below to start this article in quick view. Start now
At the start of "Far From Home," the U.S.S. Discovery emerges out of the wormhole and the crew quickly finds that the ship is unresponsive. Fortunately, they can muster just enough power to land on the nearest planet, a frozen wasteland known only as The Colony. With a parasitic ice threatening to take over the ship, the crew embarks on a race against time to repair the Discovery before it's too late.
It takes them the entire episode, but Saru and the rest of his crew are able to fix the ship. However, they're not able to escape the ice themselves. Instead, they get help from another ship, which uses its tractor beam to free the Discovery. While they expect this ship to be hostile, they instead discover that it's piloted by their missing crewmate, Michael Burnham.
Burnham is extremely relieved to see her old friends again, which she explains has been a long time coming. She's been waiting and searching for them for a whole year. Just how much Michael will have changed in that time isn't totally clear. While physically her hair is different, she also seems to now have her own ship. Her relationship with Cleveland "Book" Booker will also be a lot different than it was when the two met in the Season 3 premiere.
At the end of the premiere, Michael's arrival in 3188 sparked a beacon of hope for the return of the Federation in this dystopian future. Therefore, she will now have had a full year to help rebuild the organization. We don't expect the Federation to be what it once was before -- far from it, in fact -- but it's possible that, after a year, Michael will have had the time to help widen its network, if only a little. Now, Michael will be in a unique position to explain this strange new future to the rest of her crew and help them navigate it as an expert.About The Author
More on this: 777 stories
- Star Trek: Discovery Reveals New Look at Discovery-A
- Armin Shimmerman regrets playing a Ferengi on TNG
- Star Trek: Discovery Has Holodecks Now
- Star Trek Discovery Theory: Why Michael Is Going To Leave Starfleet
- Star Trek Picard Season 2 Starts Filming In January Confirms Star
- Exclusive Look Inside Dan Curry's Star Trek Art and VFX Book
- 3 classic characters we're thankful for across Star Trek
- Star Trek: Discovery - Burnham May Have Just Made a Dangerous New Enemy
- Star Trek Beyond: 10 Things You Didn't Know About Kalara
- Star Trek: Discovery Creates A TNG Phaser Plot Hole
- Star Trek: Discovery Drops Another Major Clue About the Burn
- Star Trek: Picard Star Wants to Fight Worf
- Star Trek Voyager: Why Janeway & Chakotay Never Became A Couple
- Star Trek: Discovery Provides A Major Clue How The Burn Happened
- Star Trek News: Franchise to get Legacy Award at event and more
- The 'Korra Effect' Keeps Fans Coming Back
- Star Trek: 10 Unpopular Opinions About Enterprise (According To Reddit)
- Star Trek: Discovery Reveals an Old Federation Enemy is Now an Ally
- Star Trek Discovery Theory: Mirror Michael Killed Emperor Georgiou's Son
- Star Trek: Voyager Just Turned Seven of Nine Into a Revolutionary
- Star Trek Voyager's "Endgame" Repeated A Season 5 Episode (But Worse)
- Star Trek: Voyager's Seven of Nine Tests Her Humanity in New Comic
- Star Trek To Receive Legacy Award at Critics Choice Super Awards
- Star Trek: Discovery: Who Will Be Saru's New Number One?
- Star Trek: Discovery Continues A Running Deep Space 9 Joke