Wil Wheaton recalls how Whoopi Goldberg saved Star Trek: The Next Generation in epic throwback
Wil Wheaton has recalled how Whoopi Goldberg saved Star Trek: The Next Generation in an epic throwback.
The actor is known for his role of Wesley Crusher, which he played in the sci-fi series between the years 1987 and 1994.
And while being a part of the iconic show, he had the pleasure of working with the Sister Act star – who portrayed the El-Aurian bartender Guinan.
Taking to the social media platform, the 48-year-old recalled his time with the legend alongside a picture of them both on set.
He wrote: ‘It was the second season of TNG, and I got to work with the biggest star on the planet, Whoopi Goldberg.’
‘She was amazing,’ he pressed. ‘She treated me as an equal. She was kind, and gentle, and such a calming presence. I guess she was Guinan, in a lot of ways.
‘It was always such a privilege and pleasure to work with Whoopi. I was always at the top of my game when I worked with her, just like when I worked with Patrick [Stewart.’
The actor went on to say how she treated him with ‘kindness and respect’ and was most likely, ‘more patient than he realised.’
Wil continued: ‘There is a story, possibly apocryphal, the says Whoopi Goldberg saved TNG. If you’ve seen our first season, you will likely agree that it was … uneven.
‘Apparently, the studio felt the same way, and was going to cancel is after the first year. But Whoopi Goldberg loved Star Trek, and she was the biggest star on the planet, so when she said, “I would like to play a character on The Next Generation,” she had the clout and power to make it happen.
‘We got another season, we got a new set, we got a chance to grow the beard. And, the story goes, it never would have happened if Whoopi hadn’t made it happen.’
‘I don’t know if that’s true, but I choose to believe that it is,’ he concluded.
‘And if it can be confirmed, I want the story of the amazing Black woman who saved Star Trek to be bellowed from the mountaintops.’
At the start of the year, Sir Patrick Stewart (Jean-Luc Picard) invited Whoopi to reprise her role on Picard.
‘I’ve said this on the show before, but Star Trek was one of the great experiences, from the beginning to the end,’ she said on the talkshow The View. ‘I had the best, best, best time ever.’
Let’s hope she returns.
Got a story?
If you’ve got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us firstname.lastname@example.org, calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we’d love to hear from you.Home › Entertainment › TV
More on this: 777 stories
- Star Trek: Discovery Reveals New Look at Discovery-A
- Armin Shimmerman regrets playing a Ferengi on TNG
- Star Trek: Discovery Has Holodecks Now
- Star Trek Discovery Theory: Why Michael Is Going To Leave Starfleet
- Star Trek Picard Season 2 Starts Filming In January Confirms Star
- Exclusive Look Inside Dan Curry's Star Trek Art and VFX Book
- 3 classic characters we're thankful for across Star Trek
- Star Trek: Discovery - Burnham May Have Just Made a Dangerous New Enemy
- Star Trek Beyond: 10 Things You Didn't Know About Kalara
- Star Trek: Discovery Creates A TNG Phaser Plot Hole
- Star Trek: Discovery Drops Another Major Clue About the Burn
- Star Trek: Picard Star Wants to Fight Worf
- Star Trek Voyager: Why Janeway & Chakotay Never Became A Couple
- Star Trek: Discovery Provides A Major Clue How The Burn Happened
- Star Trek News: Franchise to get Legacy Award at event and more
- The 'Korra Effect' Keeps Fans Coming Back
- Star Trek: 10 Unpopular Opinions About Enterprise (According To Reddit)
- Star Trek: Discovery Reveals an Old Federation Enemy is Now an Ally
- Star Trek Discovery Theory: Mirror Michael Killed Emperor Georgiou's Son
- Star Trek: Voyager Just Turned Seven of Nine Into a Revolutionary
- Star Trek Voyager's "Endgame" Repeated A Season 5 Episode (But Worse)
- Star Trek: Voyager's Seven of Nine Tests Her Humanity in New Comic
- Star Trek To Receive Legacy Award at Critics Choice Super Awards
- Star Trek: Discovery: Who Will Be Saru's New Number One?
- Star Trek: Discovery Continues A Running Deep Space 9 Joke