Star Trek: Discovery - Saru Earns His Stripes as Captain
WARNING: The following contains spoilers for Star Trek: Discovery Season 3, Episode 2, "Far From Home," now streaming on CBS All Access.
Since Star Trek: Discovery began, the Captain's chair of the U.S.S. Discovery has been a bit of a revolving door. In Season 1, the crew followed the commands of Captain Lorca, while in Season 2 Christopher Pike took over. But at the end of last season, Pike returned at the helm of his own ship, the Enterprise, leaving the Discovery's chair vacant. Saru was then named interim captain for the crew's final mission against Control before they time-traveled to the future. Now, in the latest episode of the series, "Far From Home," Saru performs admirably against a deadly threat and earns his stripes as Discovery's new captain.Click the button below to start this article in quick view. Start now
At the start of "Far From Home," the Discovery crashes on a planet called The Colony a year after Michael Burnham arrived in the future. As acting captain, it's up to Saru to make sure the Discovery is properly fixed and that everyone aboard survives. Throughout the episode, Saru has multiple duties to perform, and he barely has time to get accustomed to what's going on. His feet are held up to the fire, as the crew works to fix the ship as fast as possible if they have any hope of surviving and finding Michael. There's definitely a bit of a learning curve, but Saru proves how capable of a captain he is by prioritizing the ship's repairs, appointing the right people to the right tasks and reining in Georgiou when he needs to. He even takes the lead for an away mission to establish first contact on The Colony.
During this mission, the Kelpien continues to show how great of a captain he is by revealing that he brought an unnerved Tilly along with him because he wants her at his side to make a good first impression. Through this, he helps her gain her confidence back. Saru continues to put the safety of his crew first when he is threatened by a local courier and his gang. What's more, Saru is even willing to get his hands dirty, as evidenced by him using his ganglia as a lethal attack. And in addition to all that, despite all the pressure he is under in a future he doesn't fully understand yet, Saru continues to uphold Starfleet's ideals to the letter, inspiring a local Coridanite to believe in the Federation once more, even after the catastrophic events of The Burn.
He may just be interim captain for the moment, but Saru has shown that he deserves the chair on a permanent basis. And it's only a matter of time before the rest of his crew recognizes his worthiness.About The Author
More on this: 777 stories
- Star Trek: Discovery Reveals New Look at Discovery-A
- Armin Shimmerman regrets playing a Ferengi on TNG
- Star Trek: Discovery Has Holodecks Now
- Star Trek Discovery Theory: Why Michael Is Going To Leave Starfleet
- Star Trek Picard Season 2 Starts Filming In January Confirms Star
- Exclusive Look Inside Dan Curry's Star Trek Art and VFX Book
- 3 classic characters we're thankful for across Star Trek
- Star Trek: Discovery - Burnham May Have Just Made a Dangerous New Enemy
- Star Trek Beyond: 10 Things You Didn't Know About Kalara
- Star Trek: Discovery Creates A TNG Phaser Plot Hole
- Star Trek: Discovery Drops Another Major Clue About the Burn
- Star Trek: Picard Star Wants to Fight Worf
- Star Trek Voyager: Why Janeway & Chakotay Never Became A Couple
- Star Trek: Discovery Provides A Major Clue How The Burn Happened
- Star Trek News: Franchise to get Legacy Award at event and more
- The 'Korra Effect' Keeps Fans Coming Back
- Star Trek: 10 Unpopular Opinions About Enterprise (According To Reddit)
- Star Trek: Discovery Reveals an Old Federation Enemy is Now an Ally
- Star Trek Discovery Theory: Mirror Michael Killed Emperor Georgiou's Son
- Star Trek: Voyager Just Turned Seven of Nine Into a Revolutionary
- Star Trek Voyager's "Endgame" Repeated A Season 5 Episode (But Worse)
- Star Trek: Voyager's Seven of Nine Tests Her Humanity in New Comic
- Star Trek To Receive Legacy Award at Critics Choice Super Awards
- Star Trek: Discovery: Who Will Be Saru's New Number One?
- Star Trek: Discovery Continues A Running Deep Space 9 Joke