Star Trek: Discovery's Tilly and Michael Reunite in This Bittersweet Clip
This week’s episode of Star Trek: Discovery was a hard one on the crew—the joy of being reunited with Michael Burnham after she crashed into the 32nd century ahead of them, tempered with the stark realization of the future they find themselves in. It’s something that’s starting to hit home for the Disco crew, as this exclusive look at a scene from the episode shows.
io9's excited to give you a free peek at “People of Earth,” the latest episode of Discovery’s third season—and an important emotional moment for Michael Burnham (Sonequa Martin-Green) and Sylvia Tilly (Mary Wiseman). Taking place shortly after Michael has beamed aboard the Discovery for the first time in over a year for her (time travel’s like that sometimes), the conversation is a sweet but solemn one.
Grasping the reality of the situation quicker than anyone else, Tilly’s tearful realization of the scope of the Discovery’s sacrifice—that her family has let her go and is long gone, and that Michael’s time away from the ship means that even she had learned to let them go as well—is heartbreaking to watch.
Even if there is a little joy in these friends reuniting, there’s also the sad realization that Michael wants to minimize: she has changed, her old friends are beginning to change as well, and no one’s really sure of where they stand now.
G/O Media may get a commission
Eight Sleep Pod Cover
Use the promo code KINJA175
These are the sorts of little character interactions that Star Trek: Discovery has, admittedly, struggled with in the past—its focus on Michael’s arc coming at the expense of some of its wider cast, even beloved fan-favorites like Tilly. Getting to see these people interact with each other beyond the confines of being Starfleet officers, but as people, as friends, is very welcome. Even when it’s trying to dance around the hard conversations that sometimes friends don’t really know each other as well as they might.
Star Trek: Discovery is currently airing on CBS All Access in the U.S., and on Bell Media’s Sci-Fi Channel and Crave in Canada, where you could watch this clip and the rest of the episode around it right now, if you wanted! Or just wait a day for it to be on Netfix if you’re anywhere else on the planet.
For more, make sure you’re following us on our Instagram @io9dotcom.
More on this: 762 stories
- Star Trek News: Franchise to get Legacy Award at event and more
- The 'Korra Effect' Keeps Fans Coming Back
- Star Trek: 10 Unpopular Opinions About Enterprise (According To Reddit)
- Star Trek: Discovery Reveals an Old Federation Enemy is Now an Ally
- Star Trek Discovery Theory: Mirror Michael Killed Emperor Georgiou's Son
- Star Trek: Voyager Just Turned Seven of Nine Into a Revolutionary
- Star Trek Voyager's "Endgame" Repeated A Season 5 Episode (But Worse)
- Star Trek: Voyager's Seven of Nine Tests Her Humanity in New Comic
- Star Trek To Receive Legacy Award at Critics Choice Super Awards
- Star Trek: Discovery: Who Will Be Saru's New Number One?
- Star Trek: Discovery Continues A Running Deep Space 9 Joke
- Star Trek Discovery: Who Will Be the New Number One?
- Star Trek: Discovery: SPOILER Gets Demoted
- Star Trek Producer Herb Solow Dies at 89
- Herbert F. Solow, Desilu Exec Behind 'Star Trek' and 'Mission: Impossible,' Dies at 89
- Discovery Turns Star Trek's Delta Badges Into 32nd Century iPhones
- Star Trek: 'Burnham Goes Rogue' Has Become Discovery's 'They Shut Down the X-Files'
- 5 of the best Star Trek tweets this week, from fun to history
- Star Trek: Discovery's Best Replacements For Michael As First Officer
- Hero Collector Starships Coming In February 2021
- Stewart And Roddenberry To Receive Awards
- Star Wars: The Mandalorian Nominated for Best Science Fiction/Fantasy Series at Critics Choice Super Awards
- Throwback Thursday: Star Trek TNG's Elementary, Dear Data (S2, Ep 4)
- Star Trek: Every 32nd Century Upgrade To The Discovery
- Nominees For 1st Annual Critics Choice Super Awards Include 'Palm Springs', 'Birds Of Prey', And 'Lovecraft Country'