Star Trek: Deep Space Nine would have been so different with these actors
Fans of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine couldn’t imagine exchanging any of the actors who portrayed their favorite characters.
As Star Trek: Deep Space Nine was getting underway and the cast was being fleshed out, three of the actors who made such a massive difference on the show were almost not given the job. Jadzia Dax, Major Kira, and Kai Opaka would have been played by other actors and could have possibly changed the scope of the show.
Teri Hatcher was offered the role of Jadzia Daz
Teri Hatcher, who went on to play Lois Lane on Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman, was offered the role of Jadzia. Hatcher had already portrayed a lieutenant aboard Enterprise in Star Trek: The Next Generation’s episode “The Outrageous Okona.” Some of her scenes were cut, though, and Hatcher asked for her name to be removed from the credits. That still didn’t stop the producers from offering her a full-time role on Deep Space Nine. She simply passed on the role. Could you imagine having such a different Jadzia?
Kim Cattrall was offered the role of Major Kira
Kim Cattrall had already taken part in the Star Trek franchise, having portrayed Valeris on Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. But she was also offered the role of Kira Nerys which she turned down because she wasn’t interested in working on television. A few years later, she made that leap anyway when she joined the cast of Sex and the City. Cattrall later worked with Avery Brooks (Captain Benjamin Sisko) on the 2001 movie, 15 Minutes. I wonder if she realized what she’d missed out on. But, at any rate, Nana Visitor became Major Kira, and I can’t imagine that part belonging to anyone but her.
Kathy Bates was considered for the role of Kai Opaka
Originally, Kai Opaka was intended to becoming a returning character to the series, allowing a relationship to develop between her and Sisko that would benefit him as Emissary. Unfortunately, that changed, and the character of Kai Opaka wasn’t given much screen time on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. But the effect of her character was phenomenal. And producers were looking at Kathy Bates for the part. At that time, though, Bates wasn’t interested in doing television at that point in her career so the part went to Camille Saviola.
Though Hatcher, Cattrall, and Bates are all incredible actors, it’s difficult to imagine them as the characters we grew to love on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, which is reportedly being considered for a revival. So, for most of us fans, we’re glad things turned out the way they did as, in our minds, none of the characters could ever be replaced.
More on this: 762 stories
- Star Trek News: Franchise to get Legacy Award at event and more
- The 'Korra Effect' Keeps Fans Coming Back
- Star Trek: 10 Unpopular Opinions About Enterprise (According To Reddit)
- Star Trek: Discovery Reveals an Old Federation Enemy is Now an Ally
- Star Trek Discovery Theory: Mirror Michael Killed Emperor Georgiou's Son
- Star Trek: Voyager Just Turned Seven of Nine Into a Revolutionary
- Star Trek Voyager's "Endgame" Repeated A Season 5 Episode (But Worse)
- Star Trek: Voyager's Seven of Nine Tests Her Humanity in New Comic
- Star Trek To Receive Legacy Award at Critics Choice Super Awards
- Star Trek: Discovery: Who Will Be Saru's New Number One?
- Star Trek: Discovery Continues A Running Deep Space 9 Joke
- Star Trek Discovery: Who Will Be the New Number One?
- Star Trek: Discovery: SPOILER Gets Demoted
- Star Trek Producer Herb Solow Dies at 89
- Herbert F. Solow, Desilu Exec Behind 'Star Trek' and 'Mission: Impossible,' Dies at 89
- Discovery Turns Star Trek's Delta Badges Into 32nd Century iPhones
- Star Trek: 'Burnham Goes Rogue' Has Become Discovery's 'They Shut Down the X-Files'
- 5 of the best Star Trek tweets this week, from fun to history
- Star Trek: Discovery's Best Replacements For Michael As First Officer
- Hero Collector Starships Coming In February 2021
- Stewart And Roddenberry To Receive Awards
- Star Wars: The Mandalorian Nominated for Best Science Fiction/Fantasy Series at Critics Choice Super Awards
- Throwback Thursday: Star Trek TNG's Elementary, Dear Data (S2, Ep 4)
- Star Trek: Every 32nd Century Upgrade To The Discovery
- Nominees For 1st Annual Critics Choice Super Awards Include 'Palm Springs', 'Birds Of Prey', And 'Lovecraft Country'