Star Trek: Discovery leap to future a permanent change to series
It looks like there won’t be any more focus shifting for Star Trek: Discovery as the series will be permanently set in the future going forward.
Star Trek: Discovery has already had two soft reboots, but if one actor’s words are to be believed, there won’t be anymore. Collider sat down with Star Trek: Discoveries star Doug Jones and he told the outlet that the move to the far future is permanent for the franchise. Which means no more jumping back or going into any different eras.
Jones, who plays Acting Captain Saru, told Collider that the change will see the writers have more freedom with the franchise.
This is a good move for the franchise, as it solves two big issues. On the fan scale, many fans have been clamoring for a shift in time, moving away from the Next Generation era timeline that saw the franchise launch five series revolving around characters created in the ’80s and ’90s. Now 900 years into the future from the events of Star Trek: Discovery, the fans will now be able to see what the universe looks like from a different perspective in time, which is what many wanted.
On the flip side, it also resolves many lingering issues surrounding Discovery’s first two seasons which both served to upset fans in different ways. For the first season, many fans felt the series was lost in catering to non-Star Trek fans, and in season two, the series corrected by bringing back classic characters that no one was really asking for. Giving fans a sense that the series was just trying to placate the older fans.
Now the series will be able to expand and grow on its own without being tied too much to past materials.
Star Trek: Discovery is currently airing on Thursdays on CBS All Access.
More on this: 762 stories
- Star Trek News: Franchise to get Legacy Award at event and more
- The 'Korra Effect' Keeps Fans Coming Back
- Star Trek: 10 Unpopular Opinions About Enterprise (According To Reddit)
- Star Trek: Discovery Reveals an Old Federation Enemy is Now an Ally
- Star Trek Discovery Theory: Mirror Michael Killed Emperor Georgiou's Son
- Star Trek: Voyager Just Turned Seven of Nine Into a Revolutionary
- Star Trek Voyager's "Endgame" Repeated A Season 5 Episode (But Worse)
- Star Trek: Voyager's Seven of Nine Tests Her Humanity in New Comic
- Star Trek To Receive Legacy Award at Critics Choice Super Awards
- Star Trek: Discovery: Who Will Be Saru's New Number One?
- Star Trek: Discovery Continues A Running Deep Space 9 Joke
- Star Trek Discovery: Who Will Be the New Number One?
- Star Trek: Discovery: SPOILER Gets Demoted
- Star Trek Producer Herb Solow Dies at 89
- Herbert F. Solow, Desilu Exec Behind 'Star Trek' and 'Mission: Impossible,' Dies at 89
- Discovery Turns Star Trek's Delta Badges Into 32nd Century iPhones
- Star Trek: 'Burnham Goes Rogue' Has Become Discovery's 'They Shut Down the X-Files'
- 5 of the best Star Trek tweets this week, from fun to history
- Star Trek: Discovery's Best Replacements For Michael As First Officer
- Hero Collector Starships Coming In February 2021
- Stewart And Roddenberry To Receive Awards
- Star Wars: The Mandalorian Nominated for Best Science Fiction/Fantasy Series at Critics Choice Super Awards
- Throwback Thursday: Star Trek TNG's Elementary, Dear Data (S2, Ep 4)
- Star Trek: Every 32nd Century Upgrade To The Discovery
- Nominees For 1st Annual Critics Choice Super Awards Include 'Palm Springs', 'Birds Of Prey', And 'Lovecraft Country'