LeVar Burton Endorses Petition For Him To Become New Jeopardy Host
Jeopardy! fans have started a petition to make LeVar Burton the show's new host, and it seems as though Burton is on board. Earlier this week, the beloved Alex Trebek passed away from pancreatic cancer. Fans and celebrities have been mourning for the past few days, proving the impact Trebek left by being such a captivating host. And although people deserve more time to grieve Trebek's death, there is a fair question floating around in the wake of his passing: who will host Jeopardy! next? Which celebrities are well-calibrated and skilled enough to take on this popular role?
One top contender right now is Ken Jennings, who could naturally take on the role of show host after being Jeopardy!'s "Greatest of All Time" winner and joining the show a few months ago as a consulting producer. Other names that people have suggested include George Stephanopoulos from ABC News, Laura Coates from TMZ, and even the polarizing Alex Jones, host of an extremely far-right news podcast. Most recently, people have rallied behind LeVar Burton, who is already a household name after hosting Reading Rainbow for 20 years, starring in Star Trek: The Next Generation, and having several cameos in shows like The Big Bang Theory and Community.Click the button below to start this article in quick view. Start now
Fans are so committed to making him host that they started a petition on Change.org, which caught Burton's attention. The petition points out that Burton would do a great job of hosting due to his popularity, not just as an actor but also as a person who encourages others to learn. The petition, which Joshua Sanders started, was shared on Twitter by Burton, who expressed appreciation for his fans' support regardless of the petition's outcome. You can read the petition description and Burton's endorsement below:
The petition has very quickly gained traction. Three days after it was made, the petition surpassed its goal for 10,000 signatures. Right now, they are working towards 25,000 signatures, but that number could easily be exceeded again. Sanders commented under the petition, saying that he did not expect it to take off the way it had when he drafted it.
As of yet, Jeopardy! has not publicly acknowledged this petition or mentioned Burton becoming the show's new host, but it would be hard to ignore a group of 20,000+ (and growing) who say there is one particular person right for the job. Seeing as how quickly things can go viral on the internet, this petition will likely reach more and more people in the following days, possibly leading to LeVar Burton becoming the next host of Jeopardy!
More on this: 762 stories
- Star Trek News: Franchise to get Legacy Award at event and more
- The 'Korra Effect' Keeps Fans Coming Back
- Star Trek: 10 Unpopular Opinions About Enterprise (According To Reddit)
- Star Trek: Discovery Reveals an Old Federation Enemy is Now an Ally
- Star Trek Discovery Theory: Mirror Michael Killed Emperor Georgiou's Son
- Star Trek: Voyager Just Turned Seven of Nine Into a Revolutionary
- Star Trek Voyager's "Endgame" Repeated A Season 5 Episode (But Worse)
- Star Trek: Voyager's Seven of Nine Tests Her Humanity in New Comic
- Star Trek To Receive Legacy Award at Critics Choice Super Awards
- Star Trek: Discovery: Who Will Be Saru's New Number One?
- Star Trek: Discovery Continues A Running Deep Space 9 Joke
- Star Trek Discovery: Who Will Be the New Number One?
- Star Trek: Discovery: SPOILER Gets Demoted
- Star Trek Producer Herb Solow Dies at 89
- Herbert F. Solow, Desilu Exec Behind 'Star Trek' and 'Mission: Impossible,' Dies at 89
- Discovery Turns Star Trek's Delta Badges Into 32nd Century iPhones
- Star Trek: 'Burnham Goes Rogue' Has Become Discovery's 'They Shut Down the X-Files'
- 5 of the best Star Trek tweets this week, from fun to history
- Star Trek: Discovery's Best Replacements For Michael As First Officer
- Hero Collector Starships Coming In February 2021
- Stewart And Roddenberry To Receive Awards
- Star Wars: The Mandalorian Nominated for Best Science Fiction/Fantasy Series at Critics Choice Super Awards
- Throwback Thursday: Star Trek TNG's Elementary, Dear Data (S2, Ep 4)
- Star Trek: Every 32nd Century Upgrade To The Discovery
- Nominees For 1st Annual Critics Choice Super Awards Include 'Palm Springs', 'Birds Of Prey', And 'Lovecraft Country'