Star Trek: Discovery's VFX Supervisor Talks Building a Bold Future for the Aesthetics of Space
Another week, another interesting Star Trek: Discoveryinterview. This one is about the visual effects.
VFX supervisor Jason Zimmerman had an interesting challenge ahead of him when facing down work on the third season of Star Trek: Discovery: establishing the visual language of an entirely new era of the show’s canon, one that is farther removed from established times than anything we’ve ever seen in the series. What should it look like? How faithful should it be to what came before? Would it even be recognizable to our heroes?
Talking to Wil Wheaton for “The Ready Room,” Zimmerman discusses the challenge and particularly the difficulty that goes into, say, designing a new take on Federation headquarters, or the Voyager. It’s a tricky balance, as he shares it, wanting to develop new thing while still capturing something that fans can recognize and claim as their own.
Honestly, this would be a pretty compelling interview show if Wheaton just let the guests talk more. All the same, Zimmerman has some really interesting things to say here. Discovery is going to some fascinating places, and Zimmerman’s role in designing the visual language of those places is significant and really interesting.
G/O Media may get a commission
Razer BlackWidow Elite Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Star Trek: Discovery is airing weekly on CBS All Access.
For more, make sure you’re following us on our Instagram @io9dotcom.
More on this: 762 stories
- Star Trek News: Franchise to get Legacy Award at event and more
- The 'Korra Effect' Keeps Fans Coming Back
- Star Trek: 10 Unpopular Opinions About Enterprise (According To Reddit)
- Star Trek: Discovery Reveals an Old Federation Enemy is Now an Ally
- Star Trek Discovery Theory: Mirror Michael Killed Emperor Georgiou's Son
- Star Trek: Voyager Just Turned Seven of Nine Into a Revolutionary
- Star Trek Voyager's "Endgame" Repeated A Season 5 Episode (But Worse)
- Star Trek: Voyager's Seven of Nine Tests Her Humanity in New Comic
- Star Trek To Receive Legacy Award at Critics Choice Super Awards
- Star Trek: Discovery: Who Will Be Saru's New Number One?
- Star Trek: Discovery Continues A Running Deep Space 9 Joke
- Star Trek Discovery: Who Will Be the New Number One?
- Star Trek: Discovery: SPOILER Gets Demoted
- Star Trek Producer Herb Solow Dies at 89
- Herbert F. Solow, Desilu Exec Behind 'Star Trek' and 'Mission: Impossible,' Dies at 89
- Discovery Turns Star Trek's Delta Badges Into 32nd Century iPhones
- Star Trek: 'Burnham Goes Rogue' Has Become Discovery's 'They Shut Down the X-Files'
- 5 of the best Star Trek tweets this week, from fun to history
- Star Trek: Discovery's Best Replacements For Michael As First Officer
- Hero Collector Starships Coming In February 2021
- Stewart And Roddenberry To Receive Awards
- Star Wars: The Mandalorian Nominated for Best Science Fiction/Fantasy Series at Critics Choice Super Awards
- Throwback Thursday: Star Trek TNG's Elementary, Dear Data (S2, Ep 4)
- Star Trek: Every 32nd Century Upgrade To The Discovery
- Nominees For 1st Annual Critics Choice Super Awards Include 'Palm Springs', 'Birds Of Prey', And 'Lovecraft Country'