Trek Culture gives 10 reasons why Kathryn Janeway is the best in Star Trek
Trek Culture gave ten reasons why Kathryn Janeway is the best captain in all of Star Trek, but is she, or is this just a clever video title?
Trek Culture is always good for some insightful thoughts and controversy churning questions. This week is no different as they asked the question; is Kathryn Janeway the best captain in Star Trek history? They gave ten reasons why Janeway is the greatest and all ten are valid arguments but it should be stated clearly, to avoid any unnecessary squabbles; there is no such thing as “the best” in Star Trek history.
It’s a subjective point of view.
Just by being in the conversation, she is one of the best, and just by the merits of her having her own show, she’s one of the best. That shouldn’t be disputed. That said, let’s talk about why I agree with Trek Culture’s premise.
While we can talk about the merits of the show’s writing and it’s a depiction of the events of Janeway’s show, Star Trek: Voyager, we have to look at the broader events and not the minor details. Janeway was both James T. Kirk, Jean-Luc Picard, and Benjamin Sisko all at once. She was both the explorer Kirk was, the diplomat Picard was and the war-time tactician Sisko was.
Let’s not forget that in her seven years as captain, she dealt with three warrior races (Hirogen, Species 8472, Kazon) that wanted to kill her and her crew, none of which had been encountered before. She had to deal with merging the crews of both the Voyager and the Maquis raider in a whole new, unexplored quadrant and had numerous encounters with xenophobic alien races. On top of that, she had to manage her way through the Year of Hell, the constant war between 8472 and the Borg, as well as numerous alliances that hunted her down.
There are specific instances that the video dives deeper into, but you can’t deny that she’s not at the least worthy of being in the conversation of greatest captain in Trek history.
More on this: 777 stories
- Star Trek: Discovery Reveals New Look at Discovery-A
- Armin Shimmerman regrets playing a Ferengi on TNG
- Star Trek: Discovery Has Holodecks Now
- Star Trek Discovery Theory: Why Michael Is Going To Leave Starfleet
- Star Trek Picard Season 2 Starts Filming In January Confirms Star
- Exclusive Look Inside Dan Curry's Star Trek Art and VFX Book
- 3 classic characters we're thankful for across Star Trek
- Star Trek: Discovery - Burnham May Have Just Made a Dangerous New Enemy
- Star Trek Beyond: 10 Things You Didn't Know About Kalara
- Star Trek: Discovery Creates A TNG Phaser Plot Hole
- Star Trek: Discovery Drops Another Major Clue About the Burn
- Star Trek: Picard Star Wants to Fight Worf
- Star Trek Voyager: Why Janeway & Chakotay Never Became A Couple
- Star Trek: Discovery Provides A Major Clue How The Burn Happened
- Star Trek News: Franchise to get Legacy Award at event and more
- The 'Korra Effect' Keeps Fans Coming Back
- Star Trek: 10 Unpopular Opinions About Enterprise (According To Reddit)
- Star Trek: Discovery Reveals an Old Federation Enemy is Now an Ally
- Star Trek Discovery Theory: Mirror Michael Killed Emperor Georgiou's Son
- Star Trek: Voyager Just Turned Seven of Nine Into a Revolutionary
- Star Trek Voyager's "Endgame" Repeated A Season 5 Episode (But Worse)
- Star Trek: Voyager's Seven of Nine Tests Her Humanity in New Comic
- Star Trek To Receive Legacy Award at Critics Choice Super Awards
- Star Trek: Discovery: Who Will Be Saru's New Number One?
- Star Trek: Discovery Continues A Running Deep Space 9 Joke