Star Trek’s Anson Mount Joins Scientific Effort To Make First Contact With Aliens
A Starfleet captain’s job is to seek out new life and civilizations, and it seems that’s something Anson Mount has taken to heart as he’s doing just that in the real world, too. The Captain Pike actor – who’s set to lead the upcoming Paramount Plus series Star Trek: Strange New Worlds– has gotten involved with scientific organization METI (Messaging Extraterrestrial Intelligence), who are dedicated to making first contact with alien life.
METI announced this week that Mount has joined its Board of Directors. The actor – who debuted as Christopher Pike on Star Trek: Discovery season 2 – said the following in a statement:
Mount also followed up the announcement on Twitter with another statement, remarking that he’s excited to collaborate on “what’s perhaps the greatest creative challenge in the history of our species.” He then promised “more to come in the days, weeks, & centuries ahead.”
The San Francisco-based METI was founded in 2015 as an expansion of SETI (Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence). Whereas SETI only listens for signals from advanced civilizations, METI is more proactive and sends out powerful signals to nearby stars in the hopes of being met with a response. Douglas Vakoch, President of METI, explained the organization’s thinking in his own statement welcoming Mount aboard.
Mount is the fourth actor to play Pike over the past 50+ years, but he’s the first one to get his own vehicle as the character, who’s Kirk’s precursor as the captain of the Enterprise. Also featuring Ethan Peck as Spock and Rebecca Romijn, Star Trek: Strange New Worldsis looking to start production in early 2021.
More on this: 762 stories
- Star Trek News: Franchise to get Legacy Award at event and more
- The 'Korra Effect' Keeps Fans Coming Back
- Star Trek: 10 Unpopular Opinions About Enterprise (According To Reddit)
- Star Trek: Discovery Reveals an Old Federation Enemy is Now an Ally
- Star Trek Discovery Theory: Mirror Michael Killed Emperor Georgiou's Son
- Star Trek: Voyager Just Turned Seven of Nine Into a Revolutionary
- Star Trek Voyager's "Endgame" Repeated A Season 5 Episode (But Worse)
- Star Trek: Voyager's Seven of Nine Tests Her Humanity in New Comic
- Star Trek To Receive Legacy Award at Critics Choice Super Awards
- Star Trek: Discovery: Who Will Be Saru's New Number One?
- Star Trek: Discovery Continues A Running Deep Space 9 Joke
- Star Trek Discovery: Who Will Be the New Number One?
- Star Trek: Discovery: SPOILER Gets Demoted
- Star Trek Producer Herb Solow Dies at 89
- Herbert F. Solow, Desilu Exec Behind 'Star Trek' and 'Mission: Impossible,' Dies at 89
- Discovery Turns Star Trek's Delta Badges Into 32nd Century iPhones
- Star Trek: 'Burnham Goes Rogue' Has Become Discovery's 'They Shut Down the X-Files'
- 5 of the best Star Trek tweets this week, from fun to history
- Star Trek: Discovery's Best Replacements For Michael As First Officer
- Hero Collector Starships Coming In February 2021
- Stewart And Roddenberry To Receive Awards
- Star Wars: The Mandalorian Nominated for Best Science Fiction/Fantasy Series at Critics Choice Super Awards
- Throwback Thursday: Star Trek TNG's Elementary, Dear Data (S2, Ep 4)
- Star Trek: Every 32nd Century Upgrade To The Discovery
- Nominees For 1st Annual Critics Choice Super Awards Include 'Palm Springs', 'Birds Of Prey', And 'Lovecraft Country'