Star Trek: Burnham Finally Takes Command of the Discovery
WARNING: The following contains spoilers for Star Trek: Discovery Season 3, Episode 5, "Die Trying," now streaming on CBS All Access.
Thanks to some help from Adira and her Trill symbiont, the Discovery finally makes contact with the last remnants of the Federation in the latest episode of the Star Trek: Discovery. However, it's not exactly a warm welcome. The new Admiral in charge, Vance, isn't ready to trust the Discovery just yet, and he fails to see the potential value in either the ship's capabilities or its efficient crew. Thankfully, the time-travelers get to prove their worth in "Die Trying" when they succeed on a complicated mission due to Michael Burnham's leadership.Click the button below to start this article in quick view. Start now
When Burnham and Saru first meet with Vance, the Admiral is eager to verify that the Discovery is really from the distant past. However, even if the ship does prove authentic, he wants to have the Discovery re-assigned as well as its crew disbanded and repurposed. Burnham and Saru quickly object, arguing the Discovery is an invaluable addition to the Admiral's fleet and that its current crew knows how to operate it better than anyone else. The Admiral then let them prove themselves by rescuing several aliens known as the Kili, who have recently been poisoned and only have hours to live.
During her year away from the Discovery, Burnham had to adapt to the 32nd century without following Starfleet protocol. However, despite these changes, Saru still offered the position of Number One -- which she graciously accepted. In "Die Trying," Saru offers to remain behind as the Discovery journeys to the Federation's seed vault to find a cure for the poisoned Kili, leaving Burnham in control of the ship.
After three seasons, it's great to finally see Burnham take command of the Discovery. The character has been through it all -- she went from being a trusted officer to a prisoner, and from an off-the-books specialist to an official officer once again. She's been a time traveler and an outlaw courier and now, she is the Discovery's second-in-command.
It's a great responsibility, but it's one that she has more than earned over the past three seasons. And with her in command, the mission is a resounding success, proving both how much she deserves the position and why the Discovery and its crew are a valuable asset to the new Federation.
Streaming on CBS All Access,Star Trek: Discovery stars Sonequa Martin-Green as Commander Michael Burnham, Doug Jones as Commander Saru, Anthony Rapp as Lt. Commander Paul Stamets, Mary Wiseman as Ensign Sylvia Tilly, Wilson Cruz as Dr. Hugh Culber, David Ajala as Cleveland "Book" Booker, Blu del Barrio as Adira, Ian Alexander as Gray, Tig Notaro as Chief Engineer Reno and Michelle Yeoh as Philippa Georgiou. New episodes of Season 3 air on Thursdays.About The Author
More on this: 777 stories
- Star Trek: Discovery Reveals New Look at Discovery-A
- Armin Shimmerman regrets playing a Ferengi on TNG
- Star Trek: Discovery Has Holodecks Now
- Star Trek Discovery Theory: Why Michael Is Going To Leave Starfleet
- Star Trek Picard Season 2 Starts Filming In January Confirms Star
- Exclusive Look Inside Dan Curry's Star Trek Art and VFX Book
- 3 classic characters we're thankful for across Star Trek
- Star Trek: Discovery - Burnham May Have Just Made a Dangerous New Enemy
- Star Trek Beyond: 10 Things You Didn't Know About Kalara
- Star Trek: Discovery Creates A TNG Phaser Plot Hole
- Star Trek: Discovery Drops Another Major Clue About the Burn
- Star Trek: Picard Star Wants to Fight Worf
- Star Trek Voyager: Why Janeway & Chakotay Never Became A Couple
- Star Trek: Discovery Provides A Major Clue How The Burn Happened
- Star Trek News: Franchise to get Legacy Award at event and more
- The 'Korra Effect' Keeps Fans Coming Back
- Star Trek: 10 Unpopular Opinions About Enterprise (According To Reddit)
- Star Trek: Discovery Reveals an Old Federation Enemy is Now an Ally
- Star Trek Discovery Theory: Mirror Michael Killed Emperor Georgiou's Son
- Star Trek: Voyager Just Turned Seven of Nine Into a Revolutionary
- Star Trek Voyager's "Endgame" Repeated A Season 5 Episode (But Worse)
- Star Trek: Voyager's Seven of Nine Tests Her Humanity in New Comic
- Star Trek To Receive Legacy Award at Critics Choice Super Awards
- Star Trek: Discovery: Who Will Be Saru's New Number One?
- Star Trek: Discovery Continues A Running Deep Space 9 Joke