Star Trek Star Joins Group Dedicated to Making First Contact With Aliens
Actor Anson Mount, who plays Captain Pike on Star Trek: Discovery, has accepted an invitation to join the research and communication organization, METI (Messaging Extraterrestrial Intelligence), whose primary goal is making contact with extraterrestrial life.
Not fully satisfied with his fictional quest to seek out new life and discover alien civilizations on TV, the Star Trek actor is embarking on a real-life project in space exploration. Mount announced that he is officially joining METI's Board of Directors in their Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI).Click the button below to start this article in quick view. Start now
In a tweet announcing the new partnership, the former Hell On Wheels star proclaimed that he was "deeply honored to have joined this incredible group of scientists, linguists, & thinkers" at METI, a San Francisco based group founded in 2015 intent on finding and communicating with alien lifeforms.
While most other scientific groups involved in the search for extraterrestrial life only monitor for incoming broadcasts that could potentially be from intelligent life, the cornerstone of METI's mission involves sending its own messages to the far reaches of the galaxy. Douglas Vakoch, the President of METI, insists that its proactive approach is the only way we as a species will ever communicate with alien life, saying, "we’ll never make contact if we limit ourselves to standard SETI strategies" of merely waiting to be contacted.
Anson Mount also plans to help METI get its message across here on Earth. Discussing how his role will involve education and public outreach, Mount said, "I look forward to helping this organization expand its footprint in our cultural landscape and educate the general public about our endeavors to connect with extraterrestrial intelligence through scientific methods as we continue to grapple with the implications of this work. As a Starfleet Captain, it brings me unbridled joy to be able to say that I am actually sending out a hail."
Anson Mount's character, Captain Christopher Pike, commanded the infamous USS Enterprise and acted as mentor and friend of James T. Kirk. Mount. Mount is set to reprise his beloved role as Captain Pike in Star Trek: Strange New Worlds on Paramount+.
Star Trek: Strange New Worlds stars Anson Mount, Ethan Peck and Rebecca Romijn. The series has yet to receive a premiere date.
More on this: 777 stories
- Star Trek: Discovery Reveals New Look at Discovery-A
- Armin Shimmerman regrets playing a Ferengi on TNG
- Star Trek: Discovery Has Holodecks Now
- Star Trek Discovery Theory: Why Michael Is Going To Leave Starfleet
- Star Trek Picard Season 2 Starts Filming In January Confirms Star
- Exclusive Look Inside Dan Curry's Star Trek Art and VFX Book
- 3 classic characters we're thankful for across Star Trek
- Star Trek: Discovery - Burnham May Have Just Made a Dangerous New Enemy
- Star Trek Beyond: 10 Things You Didn't Know About Kalara
- Star Trek: Discovery Creates A TNG Phaser Plot Hole
- Star Trek: Discovery Drops Another Major Clue About the Burn
- Star Trek: Picard Star Wants to Fight Worf
- Star Trek Voyager: Why Janeway & Chakotay Never Became A Couple
- Star Trek: Discovery Provides A Major Clue How The Burn Happened
- Star Trek News: Franchise to get Legacy Award at event and more
- The 'Korra Effect' Keeps Fans Coming Back
- Star Trek: 10 Unpopular Opinions About Enterprise (According To Reddit)
- Star Trek: Discovery Reveals an Old Federation Enemy is Now an Ally
- Star Trek Discovery Theory: Mirror Michael Killed Emperor Georgiou's Son
- Star Trek: Voyager Just Turned Seven of Nine Into a Revolutionary
- Star Trek Voyager's "Endgame" Repeated A Season 5 Episode (But Worse)
- Star Trek: Voyager's Seven of Nine Tests Her Humanity in New Comic
- Star Trek To Receive Legacy Award at Critics Choice Super Awards
- Star Trek: Discovery: Who Will Be Saru's New Number One?
- Star Trek: Discovery Continues A Running Deep Space 9 Joke