Star Trek To Receive Legacy Award at Critics Choice Super Awards
The Critics Choice Association will honor the Star Trek franchise with the first-ever Critics Choice Super Awards Legacy Award at the inaugural presentation ceremony this January. This award comes in addition to the seven Critics Choice Super Awards nominations that Star Trek earned across three CBS All Access series. The Legacy Award recognizes "the cultural impact it has had across multiple decades while continuing to appeal to and grow its loyal fanbase with new stories and characters." Star Trek: Picard's Patrick Stewart and Star Trek: Discovery's Sonequa Martin-Green, each nominated for a Super Award, will accept the award on the Star Trek franchise's behalf.
The Critics Choice Awards developed the Super Award as a means of "honoring the most popular, fan-obsessed genres across both television and movies, including Superhero, Science Fiction/Fantasy, Horror, Action and Animation." Star Trek left a mark on the inaugural nominations, earning seven nominations across three different shows. CCA will reveal the winners during a television presentation hosted by writer/director/podcaster Kevin Smith and actress/writer Dani Fernandez airing on The CW Network on Sunday, January 10th from 8:00-10:00 pm ET/PT. The ceremony will stream the following day for free on The CW App and cwtv.com.
"What a celebration this is going to be!" said Critics Choice Association CEO Joey Berlin. "We are so pleased to be spotlighting the brilliant work of so many artists who bring to life some of the most engaging and beloved movies and television series! We are certain that Kevin and Dani will serve as tremendous hosts, who, as fans themselves, will bring energy and enthusiasm to the stage, as we honor these genres that so often go overlooked and underappreciated."
The Legacy Award honor comes two years after the Emmy Awards honored Star Trek with its Governors Award. Martin-Green and Star Trek star William Shatner, back representatives from each Star Trek series, accepted the award on the franchise's behalf.
"Thank you so much," Shatner said in his reception speech. "52 years. What a gift. We're grateful… Star Trek has endured because it represents an idea – one that's greater than the sum of our parts….we watch and we reach to see the best version of ourselves…. Star Trek is a phenomenon… I accept this award with honor."
What do you think of Star Trek getting the first-ever Legacy Award at the Critics Choice Super Awards? Let us know in the comments section.
More on this: 762 stories
- Star Trek News: Franchise to get Legacy Award at event and more
- The 'Korra Effect' Keeps Fans Coming Back
- Star Trek: 10 Unpopular Opinions About Enterprise (According To Reddit)
- Star Trek: Discovery Reveals an Old Federation Enemy is Now an Ally
- Star Trek Discovery Theory: Mirror Michael Killed Emperor Georgiou's Son
- Star Trek: Voyager Just Turned Seven of Nine Into a Revolutionary
- Star Trek Voyager's "Endgame" Repeated A Season 5 Episode (But Worse)
- Star Trek: Voyager's Seven of Nine Tests Her Humanity in New Comic
- Star Trek: Discovery: Who Will Be Saru's New Number One?
- Star Trek: Discovery Continues A Running Deep Space 9 Joke
- Star Trek Discovery: Who Will Be the New Number One?
- Star Trek: Discovery: SPOILER Gets Demoted
- Star Trek Producer Herb Solow Dies at 89
- Herbert F. Solow, Desilu Exec Behind 'Star Trek' and 'Mission: Impossible,' Dies at 89
- Discovery Turns Star Trek's Delta Badges Into 32nd Century iPhones
- Star Trek: 'Burnham Goes Rogue' Has Become Discovery's 'They Shut Down the X-Files'
- 5 of the best Star Trek tweets this week, from fun to history
- Star Trek: Discovery's Best Replacements For Michael As First Officer
- Hero Collector Starships Coming In February 2021
- Stewart And Roddenberry To Receive Awards
- Star Wars: The Mandalorian Nominated for Best Science Fiction/Fantasy Series at Critics Choice Super Awards
- Throwback Thursday: Star Trek TNG's Elementary, Dear Data (S2, Ep 4)
- Star Trek: Every 32nd Century Upgrade To The Discovery
- Nominees For 1st Annual Critics Choice Super Awards Include 'Palm Springs', 'Birds Of Prey', And 'Lovecraft Country'
- Star Trek: Discovery Reveals the Discovery-A