Jason Isaacs Won’t Say if Lorca Returns in Star Trek: Strange New Worlds
Jason Isaacs refused to discuss whether or not his character Captain Gabriel Lorca will return in the upcoming Star Trek: Strange New Worlds. Isaacs’ character was a regular on Star Trek: Discoveryseason 1. Whether or not his character returns to StrangeNew Worlds, or any other ancillary Star Trek show, remains to be seen.
In Star Trek: Discovery season 1, Isaacs’ General Lorca was a commanding officer of starship Discovery and a main character in the series. His tenure didn’t last, however, as Lorca was brutally killed after he revealed he was from the Mirror Universe and was instigating a coup. His death, however, is not entirely definitive since it is unknown what happened to the Prime Universe version of General Lorca after he was sent to the Mirror Universe.Click the button below to start this article in quick view. Start now
During a pre-recorded appearance at a Dragon Con Goes Virtual panel (hat tip TrekMovie) where Star Trek: Discovery cast members were reunited, Isaacs was asked if his character would return. Isaacs avoided giving a definitive answer, and though he was mum on the topic, he did give lots of praise to the Star Trek writers. Isaacs feels if Lorca does return, the writers have the skill to do it properly:
If Captain Lorca were to return, then showing up in StrangeNew Worlds would be the logical way to have it happen. The show will take place shortly after the end of Discovery season 2, and will follow Anson Mount's Captain Pike, who finally gets his own spinoff show. StrangeNew Worlds is currently being scripted and is set to begin production in 2021, meaning there’s time to add in additional characters. Isaacs played General Lorca as a deeply conflicted character, which made him compelling to watch. The realization that he was evil the whole time was an added bonus, and helped make Lorca one of the most dramatic character arcs of the first season.
Isaacs has had positive things to say about his experience on the Star Trek set, and has made no secret that he’d be open to returning. That enthusiasm, however, stops short when it comes to real talk about which show and when. Audiences already got to experience the evil Mirror Universe General Lorca thanks to Discovery. Exploring the life of Prime Universe Lorca is a story worth telling, especially since fans are already curious about his character. Even Isaacs has given hints about Prime Universe Lorca's backstory. Hopefully the show writers can make it happen in Star Trek: Strange New Worlds.
Source: TrekMovieAbout The Author
More on this: 571 stories
- Amazon to Produce Chris Pine-Thandie Newton Thriller 'All the Old Knives'
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Episode 7 Shows the Freaky Side of Starfleet
- Star Trek Finally Improved TNG's Most Hated Captain
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Recap, Season 1 Episode 7
- Star Trek: Wil Wheaton wants to reunite with Sir Patrick Stewart in Picard
- Star Trek At New York Comic-Con
- Star Trek: Picard Wins Emmy Award
- Noah Hawley's new Star Trek would not bring back prior cast
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek movie doesn't include Kirk or Picard
- Star Trek: Picard Theory Reveals An Unexpected Doctor Who Connection
- Star Trek: Discovery & The Stand Panels Set For NYCC 2020
- Noah Hawley Says His 'Star Trek' Starts "From Scratch" With No Picard Or Kirk
- Noah Hawley Teases His Star Trek Film's Unconventional Twist
- All-New Star Trek Crew Is Being Introduced in Noah Hawley's Movie Reboot
- Star Trek: Wil Wheaton Wants to Reunite With Patrick Stewart in Picard
- Noah Hawley's 'Star Trek' Won't Feature Kirk or Picard
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek movie will feature brand new crew
- Hawley's Standalone "Star Trek" Was To Link Back
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek Movie Avoids Kirk & Picard, Has New Characters
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek Movie to Introduce an Entirely New Crew
- Wil Wheaton Wants To Reunite With Patrick Stewart On Star Trek: Picard
- Star Trek: The Original Series receives TCA Heritage Award for
- Star Trek: Lower Decks References the Original Series AND the Animated Series
- Star Trek 6: Why Kirstie Alley's Saavik Didn't Return For Undiscovered Country
- Wil Wheaton Wants to Return as Wesley Crusher for Star Trek: Lower Decks